Pages

Sunday, October 29, 2017

Using Double Faced Knit Fabric and Self-Fabric Trim to Finish Edges

As I sew, I like to try new fabrics that come out on the market, and new sewing techniques. I guess you could say that is my style.
 The double faced jersey knit that I used in this outfit for the
was so easy to work with. It was soft, stretchy, and forgiving.

 Double faced jerseys can have the same face on each side or     vary in pattern or color. Mine varied in pattern but featured the same color palette. 
My granddaughter has been asking for a top with a high-low hemline, and I knew that this fabric would be perfect.  When viewing the top from the front, the lower curved back panel on  the top is visible. So I needed a fabric that looks great both on the right side of the fabric as well as the back of the fabric.
 

 The fabric is soft and drapes well. "It's like wearing my pajamas!" said my granddaughter.
 I like trying new sewing techniques, and this outfit utilizes
 raw edge self-trim.
 I want my granddaughter to like the finished outfits that I make for her. Trying to keep up with pre-teen fashions is an important job for this grandmother. I visit stores like Justice, Forever 21, and internet stores that feature pre-teen fashions to see what girls my granddaughter's age are buying... then I incorporate those details into my designs. 



Same Look, Different Top
While in Target, I noticed an white sleeveless knit t-shirt top on the 80% off rack for $2.80. 

I started thinking about adding a cold-shoulder sleeve to the original shirt to create a different look to go with her new pants. 

 
 Here is how my idea turned out.

Again, I used the raw edge self-fabric trim to finish the sleeve top.


Smiles,
Deborah

3 comments:

  1. It looks like she really loves her new outfit! It sounds super comfy, and I bet it will get worn a lot. I like that she has a matching headband to go with it, too. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Bridget,
    She wore it to school yesterday, so I know it's a hit. Sewing for a pre-teen is a new adventure!
    Deborah Devine

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely thing to make with that fabric...I've looked at it many times and never known quite what to make!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...