Pages

Saturday, June 7, 2014

Built-in Bookcase, Part 7...Windowseat Cushion



 The next step is to make a cushion for the windowseat. So I began by making a pattern.

I used this one inch graph paper that I had.  If you don't have this kind of paper, any paper is fine...shelf paper, wrapping paper, and even taped together newspaper.
I placed my paper on the windowseat and lined up the front edge. I taped it into place with blue painter's tape, as I didn't want to pull off any paint from the seat.  Then I used my fingernail to crease the paper at the back edges.

 I left one half inch around the pattern, so this pattern can be used for both  the foam and my fabric.

 Now it's time to use the pattern to cut out the foam. I again lined up the front edge and stuck my pin into the foam to hold it in place. Then using a thin marker and a yardstick, I traced the pattern onto the foam.


Well, I had a little problem finding 3 inch foam that was 27 inches wide and 103 inches long, so I couldn't buy it locally unless  I pieced the foam. Therefore, I went to the Internet. I obtained my 3 inch 30 inch wide from www.OnlineFabricStore.net.  It was actually 3 X 30 X 108 High Density Upholstery Foam and I am quite happy with it.

Now, to cut the foam. I used my electric knife. This picture shows you how to hold the knife perpendicular to the foam so your cut is straight on the face of the edge.  Just think of it as using a jigsaw. I placed my cutting board under the foam, and moved it as I cut the foam so I wouldn't distress the surface under the foam. 

 So how did that turn out?
Look at this BEAUTIFUL cut!!!
 And the pattern created cut foam that fit right into the corner of this trapezoid shaped seat.

Here is the finished cut foam, that's ready to be covered with my fabric.

Smiles,
Deborah 

If you want to read more about the building of this Built-in Bookcase/Windowseat just click on the link under Labels.

3 comments:

  1. I love this! I would love it if you joined and contribute your awesome posts at my link party at City of Creative Dreams, starts on Fridays :D Hope to see you there at City of Creative Dreams Link Party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a fabulous window seat! Great tutorial for creating a cushion too! Thanks for sharing on Show-Licious Craft & Recipe Party!
    ~ Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing this post at City of Creative Dream's City of Links on Friday! I appreciate you taking the time to party with me. Hope to see you again this week :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...